CTG Python / Linux Developer (Perm. Placement) in Morrisville, North Carolina
Title: Python / Linux Developer (Perm. Placement)
Job Number: 19204984
Our client, a premier genomic services organization excelling in implementing technologies and services to accelerate research in complex human diseases, is seeking a Staff Software Engineer to join their team. This is a direct-hire position with full salary, benefits, and bonus opportunities!
The client’s software infrastructure for analysis and processing in support of their services makes use of a combination of open-source and custom-built, specialized application software. Their automated workflows for sequencing data analysis use a high-performance computing Linux cluster and AWS to enhance computing needs across geographic regions. The Translational Genomics group includes bioinformaticians and software engineers that develop automated DNA and RNA analysis utilities and workflows. New members of the group are expected to have an immediate impact on current activities and help to define the direction we take as we grow.
• Apply formal software engineering methodologies to develop solutions in a timely manner. Track and provide status updates to support project schedules.
• Develop data analysis workflows alongside bioinformaticians.
• Learn the scientific, statistical, and analytical methods applied.
• Create requirements, design, and user manual documentation to support validation efforts.
• Evaluate, test, and improve legacy software tools.
• Build, test, and evaluate third-party software tools.
• Evaluate computational efficiency of large-scale scientific computing systems and identify system software components in need of development, improvement, or replacement.
• Troubleshoot problems, provide workarounds, and develop patches to software and systems.
• Perform other duties and learning activities as directed.
• Experience using Python to implement Object Oriented Designs.
• Strong opinions on software engineering and what it means to create quality software.
• Experience evaluating and improving the efficiency of programs in a Linux environment.
• Experience with command line compilation and debugging.
• Experience with makefiles, coverage analysis and other forms of runtime profiling.
• Experience with all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle.
• Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of MS Office suite of applications.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability / willingness to learn bioinformatics / genomics
• Experience designing relational databases and working knowledge of SQL.
• Experience with the Common Workflow Language (CWL), Arvados, PERL, C , AWS, Docker
• Working knowledge of Bioinformatics, Genomics, or Life Sciences
Minimum required education and years of experience:
• A Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and five years of relevant experience, or A Master’s degree in computer science or related field and three years of relevant experience.
• Flexibility. You will be part of an organization that prides itself with its ability to quickly adapt and adjust to the needs of our clients. You will need to communicate with people who do not have software and systems as a primary background. You will be asked to perform tasks that are outside of your comfort zone.
• Pragmatism. You should not reinvent the wheel or develop something from scratch when you can adapt an existing tool. There will always be something you can use that someone else developed. You will often need to interface with legacy systems. You will have to balance risk and reward to fit your solution into a scheduled deadline that was set without your input.
• Precision. Our laboratory and analysis systems are required to adhere to stringent quality standards. These systems support the gamut of Research Use Only (RUO) to Diagnostic (Dx) analysis. You will be expected to build systems that adhere to our quality standards.
• Curiosity. We hire engineers and teach them bioinformatics. You may learn things about molecular biology, algorithms, genomics, sequencing, and data analysis every week. You may need to understand standard data formats and how they are used to understand how you can support the group. You will get to know the needs of our customers, the research performed by your coworkers, and bioinformatic details about every project you work on.
CTG (NASDAQ: CTG) provides industry-specific IT services and solutions that address the business needs and challenges of clients in high-growth industries in North America and Western Europe. CTG also provides strategic staffing services for major technology companies and large corporations. Backed by more than 50 years of experience and proprietary methodologies, CTG has a proven track record of reliably delivering high-value, industry-specific staffing services and solutions to its clients. CTG has operations in North America, Western Europe, and India.
CTG's greatest asset is its people, and as such, we are committed to providing employees programs and processes to support their performance, hone their skills, and advance in their careers. This commitment is reflected by CTG being named a Best Places to Work in Healthcare company by Modern Healthcare (2013-2016) in North America, and a Best Workplace in the United Kingdom (2013), Belgium (since 2007), and Luxembourg (since 2011).
CTG will consider for employment all qualified applicants including those with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable local, state, and federal laws.
CTG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strong advocate of workforce diversity. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Veteran.
Job: Programming & Application Development